2010-03-19

Poor = Criminal

Or, so I was told today.

I have quite a knack at getting into post wars on the internet and today was no exception. I guess it's just my witty charm. An obvious liberal, who also claims to be Christian, decided to respond to this quote:


"In my youth I traveled much and I observed in different countries that the more public provisions were made for the poor the less they provided for themselves and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves and became richer.” -Ben Franklin

"I just knew Jesus was wrong. Ben Franklin is bow diety" ...said the man I ended up talking to...(it's actually deity but, I spell things wrong too, I just happen to know how to use spell check). Anyways, I questioned him about this and, ended up telling him that, yes people should help the poor but, they should have a choice and that the government shouldn't be making all those decisions for us.

He replied to me with a comparison of taxes for roads and military, with welfare for the poor. Obviously this is absurd.

What always frustrates me about liberals is their take on taxes. I am not an anarchist. I support giving money for roads, police, fireman, military, and possibly a few other programs but, these are services that are helpful for all citizens. When the government takes from the haves and gives to the have-nots, that is stealing. That is Robin Hood philosophy.

I further explained to this man that I have no problem donating money to the poor. He actually had the nerve to ask me what my figures are for my, "apparent generosity." What a goon.

Because I pointed out the difference, I was accused of talking out both sides of my mouth, as well as interpreting the Bible any way I pleased. I asked this man more than once to tell me where in the Bible it says that stealing is okay, in some circumstances. He has yet to give me an answer on that one.

Instead, he decided to say: I'm the one interpreting it more literal. I'm not trying to belittle you at all. Just pointing out that you speak out of both sides of your mouth. Roads benefit all but food stamps benefit just one so they are not okay. Good luck making converts with that theology.


Apparently this poor man has never heard of conservatives.

Again you are not consistant with what you say which is very typical of right wingnuts. You paying taxes for roads benefits all but so does foudstamps because if people have no food they will steal it and crime would go up. So they benefit all. Sure there is abuse for which I am against, but many need help and as God commands I'm willing all I can

I love this. I'm the one being accused of not being consistent? I'm not the one saying it's okay to steal in some circumstances. The commandment is "Thou shalt not steal," not "Thou shalt not steal but, sometimes it's okay for the government to do so." Last I checked, it's a commandment, not a suggestion.

Now, don't get me wrong, I realize there's not much I can do about all this but, my point isn't about eradicating the system. My point is simply identifying what is right and, what is wrong. I asked this man straight out, "Do you think Jesus would be running around with Robin Hood and his merry men?" Of course, that wasn't answered either. If taking money from one group of people and giving it to another group of people isn't stealing, than I don't know what is.

The part that really made steam come out of every orifice of my body was the part where he said, "if people have no food they will steal it and crime would go up." How can someone have the nerve to say such an ignorant statement? So, if someone is without, according to this guy, they will always resort to stealing and being criminals. Poverty causes crime? It's funny because, I know plenty of rich people that have committed crimes, lots of crimes and, just because they could afford good lawyers doesn't mean that their crimes didn't effect the people around them.

It's also interesting to note that as more money has been funneled into the welfare system, I don't see crime going down anywhere. It's clear this guy has never lived in a big city like, oh say... Baltimore.


Furthermore, if this guy thinks that it is Jesus' will to have the government take from some and give that money to others, then isn't that forcing religion? I thought it was the liberals that were always shouting about "separation of church and state"? The whole idea of being Christian is allowing people the freedom to chose. Forcing people to do certain things is not a Christian value.

I have no problem with government offices having the 10 Commandments displayed. I have no problem with prayer in school (you don't have to participate), I have no problem with many things but, I do have a problem when people claim they are Christian and believe it's okay for the state to control everything.


What it boils down to is that liberals do not have faith in G-d. They believe in the government. The government is their god. This man thinks that if the government didn't provide subsidies for the poor, that no one would ever help the poor. He has NO faith that G-d will take care of them, that G-d will move the hearts and minds of people people to give voluntarily.


I don't think we're necessarily going to get people to agree that no help should be available but, I don't think we should make it easy for people either. I'm okay with helping to a degree. Help. Definitely help but, make it uncomfortable. When I see generation after generation being on welfare, I am bothered by that. We are making people feel comfortable on these programs and that's not a good thing. We keep people victims doing that. I just cannot believe that Jesus would say that's a good thing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  The Alternative Conservative                  
x

Get Our Latest Posts Via Email - It's Free

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner