2010-09-04

Misinterpreting - Racism

I thought of a story today from years ago and, figured I should share it. I guess what prompted me to remember this has been all this talk about racism lately. Yes, it's been talked about quite a bit but, I guess I thought better of this country when Obama got in office, thinking things would finally stop already. No such luck; it's only increased.

Several years ago, my car had broken down and, I had to take it into the shop. The trip to the repair shop was not planned and, I had to somehow get home and obtain my keys for work. I had tried getting a ride from someone and, the shop said that wasn't necessary, that they had a driver that would be more than willing to help me retrieve my keys and, give me a ride to work.

I only mention that the man who gave me a ride happened to be black because, it's important to know for the story. As for myself, I've mentioned before, I'm "technically" 1/2 Polish, 1/4 American Indian, and 1/4 Mexican....so, 100% American, as was he. He had drove me to my home and, we had made some idle chatter along the way. He was a very nice man, very polite. After I had retrieved my work keys from home, he asked me, "I'm really not supposed to make an extra stop but, I'm starving. Would you mind at all?" I did not mind at all and, it was an extra bonus because, I too, was quite peckish.

So, we stopped at Subway and, we ordered our subs. I noticed nothing out of the ordinary until, we got back in the van and he said, "Wow. These folks don't like seeing a black man with a white woman!" I was totally confused. "What are you talking about?" He then said that he noticed a bunch of people staring and making looks. My reply to him, "It's the Midwest. Everyone stares around here. I really don't think anyone noticed or cared about either one of our races."

The man was absolutely shocked, "You think? I guess...well, people do stare around here. Are you saying if it was ..."

I interrupted, "Look, if I had gone in there alone, people would be staring. The Midwest is KNOWN for staring. You stare in NYC, you might get shot but, out here...here, it's just everyone is staring at everyone."

"Wow. I never even thought about that. You're right. I guess I always thought it had to do with people being a bunch of racists."

"I'm not saying people aren't racist. I just don't know very many. That sort of attitude has been gone for some time now. I guess old people are like that but, the majority of folks do not care. Trust me."

It amazed me that here this man thought people were simply staring because he was black. He never put together the idea, nor did anyone around him, that it's just how the Midwest is - people stare. So, how many other people are going around thinking this crap?

It's no wonder so many people are so eager to jump on the band wagon and call people racists, when they are completely ignorant of the cultural nuances in their own communities.

I think there are a lot of folks that think like this man. I'm just grateful that I was able to open a window for him, and just help him see a little bit more to the picture he first thought he was viewing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  The Alternative Conservative                  
x

Get Our Latest Posts Via Email - It's Free

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner