2013-11-21

Self-Congratulatory Liberal

I ran across this post on Facebook by accident. I had anticipated this to be typical liberal rhetoric, which is not such a big deal. I mean, it doesn't hurt to hear a different opinion from time to time and in this case, it makes for a great post.

I did not edit anything so all the mistakes are from the author herself. I did however make paragraph separations in order to make it more readable. My thoughts and analysis are given in yellow. 
WARNING; Insensitive people at the Walmart rant ahead.  
Last night I found myself sandwiched in line waiting to check out, this is not an odd occurrence. The woman in frount of me had 5 children she was wrangling ( which did not seem odd to me) , as well as the fact that the children were a mix of Caucasian and Hispanic short people.( agian hmph...didn't notice until it was pointed out to me). 
Didn't notice and wants you to notice that she didn't notice. Okay.  
Yes, I said pointed out. 
Right. We got it.  
The people behind me as I wrestled my own whiney toddler, began very loudly whispering things like; 
"How many baby daddies do you think she has?" 
"Can't even dress those kids for weather." 
"Just wait until she whips out the food stamps. " 
Okay, that does sound pretty rude but where does this woman live, I have to wonder? I mean, in today's politically correct environment, I can't help but find this ...perhaps a bit of an exaggeration?  In any case, these people sound as if they were stating out loud what a lot of people probably think. 
I calmed my 3 year old with old altoids found at the bottom of my purse and looked incredulously back at the well dressed, normal couple spouting such, well, total CRAP.
Old Altoids at the bottom of your purse? Ewww.  

Well dressed? Normal? Oh the horror!!! How dare they! 
I looked forward to see a woman fumbling with seperating clothes items; coats and shoes socks and underwhere from the food items with the black plastic seperators. 
Okay. She's completely disorganized before going into the check out line. Yes; I just love people like that. Those people who are only ever thinking about themselves and their time. I also love people who just have to use their change and will spend several minutes fumbling around for exact change, while others have to sit and wait. /sarcasm
There five kids,two that shared her same blonde hair with jackets and warm shoes and three, beautifully dark haired and deep brown eyes, sad, eyes;wearing shorts, and flip flops.
It was true she was struggling with a food stamp card. Didn't know what buttons to use to complete the transaction. 
Oh so the blondes were properly dressed and the brown heads were poorly dressed but had beautiful dark eyes? Thank you so much for mentioning that. It's good to know that you take special care in describing the darker folks - those "Hispanics" that were "pointed out" to you. 
As the class act behind me deeply sighed; and said "Theres our tax dollars neatly at work."
I shot them what I can only imagine was the death glare only a mother of 9 can execute to perfection.  
Oh so you're scolding people that you feel are judging others? 
I stepped forward and kindly said, can I help? 
These things are so confusing.  
She looked at me. 
I quietly asked " Foster or Adopted?" 
Riiiiiiiight because we know it NEVER crossed YOUR mind the kids might have multiple fathers. I guess that's what makes you so special. 
I have 9 kiddos...two bio, I get it, please let me help." 
Awwwwwh....you are such a saint!  
She smiled embarrassed, "New Foster Mom, this is my first time using one of these, they came 3 days days ago, gonna be with us for a while. 
They gave us food, but the kids needed clothes , but no stipend has come through yet.
I looked at the kids and smiled, and turned to her and said; beautiful children I am glad you all have eachother. " 
I showed her how to use her card as the jackholes behind us snorted. 
Oh, so you use food stamps too. I gotcha.  
I explained to her how she doesn't have to seperate items and that the items get seperated by the computer at check out and how she pays the balance after she runs her card. 
She handed each child a new coat , loaded up her cart as she left I side hugged her and told her "you have got this."
Indeed; this was very nice of you to do.  
After they were out of ear shot...I turned with tears to the smug well dressed man and woman behind me. 
"Those children? They lost the right to live with their parents just days ago, those clothes? probably the only clothes they own, or got to leave their home with. 
THAT woman? Opened her home to kids, kids that needed a safe place to go, when the one they lived in no longer prooved safe enough or secure enough for them. The food stamps, something health and welfare helps an already mother to two feed three new mouths.
There are not nearly enough women or people like her this world." 
I whipped back around and started slamming my groceries on the belt, and then turned back around... 
Voice shaking.;
"AND even IF those kids were all hers, and she had a dozen "baby daddies" and was on food stamps..no child in this country or any other deserves to be cold or hungry, I am sorry, but your behavior? Poorly done, VERY poorly done." 
Wow. I'm impressed you were able to be so very eloquent in your delivery considering how poor your words are written here. Anyone else getting the feeling that this woman is indulging a bit? 
My new 'friends' left my checkout aisle and joined another, silently.  
I grabbed a bag of damn Peanutbutter m&ms....
As I finished checking out the girl checking me out smiled and winked, "single mother on WIC, what you said? Rocked!" 
I grimaced and said "thanks,I wasn't sure I should have gone off like that...hug those babies of yours tight tonight. " 
She said " I will, you have a nice night mam' and do the same." 
I cried hard as I found my Tahoe, buckled the baby in the car, loaded up...and opened those damn m&m's. 
You foster mama's out there...hold your heads high, you are the hands and hearts that are the strong and the steady for small ones when they need it most.
Hats off andso much love today to you.♡♥♡
Okay. I will definitely give credit where credit is due. She makes a great point. We shouldn't judge others by simply looking at them. Sometimes we see woman with their EBT cards wearing designer clothing but little do we know that she bought her clothes at a thrift shop. That phone she has? It was a gift from a dear friend. The possibilities are endless and no, this couple behind her should not have expressed their opinion so rudely that others around might hear.

I don't have a problem with what this woman did but if her point is to say that we should never judge others, then why didn't she afford that SAME logic towards the people behind her? Here is where I take issue with people like her...


She goes out of her way to tell us how understanding she is, how she looks at those minority children as beautiful, and thinking the woman had multiple daddies for her multiple kids just would NEVER cross her mind. She even makes this absurd point about how the race of those children was "pointed out" to her but then never explains who or when it was pointed out in the story; she just wants you to know that she never noticed. 

She doesn't know the story of the people behind her. What if they are hard working people who came from nothing? They went though school; they didn't engage in premarital sex so neither got pregnant before marriage; they completed high school with honors and scholarships because that was the only way they would be able to go to college. They worked hard in college and played sports. They worked through college and graduated Magna Cum Laude. They landed themselves fairly good careers but when they married they decided to have a family, buy a house, get a few new vehicles but nothing terribly fancy but extremely dependable. These are moderate, middle class or even upper-middle class people. Obamacare just got passed and they just received notice that their care was cancelled. They got new quotes where they will be required to pay over one thousand dollars more a month. While they can afford it, it puts a huge dent in their funds. They are actually considering not getting coverage for their entire family because the cost is just too high; it would be cheaper to pay the fine. They both are in great shape and work out so their good health allowed them to carry insurance that was quite low but now they have to pay more, while they watch others who have done almost nothing with their lives or take any care of their bodies get free or subsidized insurance.

Maybe because they grew up poor, they know people from their neighborhood who have grown up to use the system. They know people who have multiple children with multiple men who refuse to use birth control or self-control; these are the type of folks that see their children as paychecks rather than an interest in building a family and a legacy. They now have to do their own strapping of cash and their kids will not be wearing new clothes because the money they anticipated on spending for such things is now going to pay for their skyrocketing health insurance. Who in this type of situation would not be frustrated? Of course these people jumped to conclusions; it's natural because of what they are going through and what they have seen before. They work hard all their lives so that they could afford certain luxuries yet they are now being punished, not to mention how politicians and people in the media as well as people such as this woman, are hell bent on making people like them out to be greedy and mean.

Most ALL Americans are completely fine with wanting the government to provide a safety-net for people, especially poor people. Had this couple knew the woman was a foster mom and unfamiliar with how to use her card, I'm sure those judgmental words would never have come out of their mouths. However, what they did is NO different from what this self-congratulatory liberal did. She afforded all of her sympathies to one woman, while completely disregarding the viewpoint of the couple behind her. They judged; she judged. 


If your message is to tell others not to judge, then perhaps the first place for this woman to look is directly in the mirror. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  The Alternative Conservative                  
x

Get Our Latest Posts Via Email - It's Free

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner