2010-04-17

The Things Some People Do

I got a message on FB this evening asking me to "explain why" I was a fan of Margret Thatcher and Glenn Beck (you can see the fan pages on my profile because, FB won't allow me to block them).

He sent me a message asking about my Margret Thatcher page:

Life (the title of his message)......ok, you're good, and you knew that, but what's the deal with Maggy
T.I.N.A. Thatcher....affectionately known as "there is no alternative" ?
Not that we have a favorite....


I was confused at first but, he finally explained that he was looking at a list of my "fan pages" and...

..you have this page that says...you know...Maggs...the Baroness.....
she who was ' Roberts' and became 'Thatcher'....I was wondering the
how and why....wence and wither...of said page...not the usual listing.
(Sorry but I'm watching the Bill Moyers rerun with Simon and Co.)



and


...Jenn (may I call you Jenn?)...sorry , but you have a rotating list of..
310 pages..that we all get to see and Ms. Thatcher was 'on deck' for
me....now it's 'Gucci' and the inimitable....'Glenn Beck'
(...gee 'Beck' was kind of cool, but Glenn?) cheers


I responded to him:


My friends call me Tuesday.

A rotating list? Are you talking about pages I belong to on FB? I am so confused.

Yes, I like Margret Thatcher. I'm not sure what you'd like me to explain. :/

~Tuesday 


His response: 

 Ms. Thatcher appears and I flash upon her catch phrase....T.I.N.A.
well known across the planet....the problem was me...not you.....
(but Glenn Beck?...really?...ever hear of Noam Chomsky?)...please
feel free to explain anything to me, I'm here all week.....two shows a night....I think it might be time to ' fire up the color-tinis and watch the pictures as they fly through the air'....'Moyers' is done for now.
cheers 


Ever hear of Noam Chomsky? Really? Okay, here's my response to him:

I still have no idea what you'd like me to explain. You and I are obviously at opposite ends of the political spectrum.

I wouldn't expect you to "explain" yourself to me anymore than I should "explain" MYself to anyone. I would never just send someone a message asking them "why they are liberal?" "why they like a certain political figure?" It seems as though you are asking me why I am conservative? Why I like Glenn Beck? Why I like Margret Thatcher?

Because, I do.

I am not sure if you are trying to get into some sort of political battle? Usually, people just accept my views as I accept theirs (if they differ from mine), and we move on. I don't even know you or, what your angle is here. I feel very put-off right now.

I am not interested in getting into a fight with anyone about politics. You don't seem like a mean person at all. Perhaps you are trying to strike up a conversation? Forgive me if that is your only intention. I have to be quite careful on Facebook, as I have already once lost my account due to "friendly conversation" with people who are not on my side of the political spectrum. Many others on here have undergone the same problems.

~Tuesday 


Well, this didn't stop him from replying with this:

Sorry again, m'lady and 'my bad'....I've tried to move on from the right
vs. left smokescreen, that keeps this country disstracted and continue the analysis of 'up vs. down' or' top and bottom'....but to
do this you have to look at the old guys....and I started with the
CBS guy Edward R. Murrow....it was a different world 50-60-70
years ago, some of the same problems, some different solutions
but a real conversation used to exist in this country...along with
real news organizations that we no longer have.....
This is my problem, not yours....so not to worry /not a problem.
Someday...when you run out of things to do...look up Ed Murrows
speech from 1957, I believe, delivered to the RTNDA...rather famous as his 'lights and wires in a box' speech and see if you can't
appreciate...a different outlook....a different reality.
Other than that....have a good life....call anytime....I think you'll
do well.
Apologies for the lack of communication/consensus...my error.
sincerely....
(He did sign his name and I am not using his name on this!)

Okay, I admit, I'm really bad at wanting to have the "last word." Call it a flaw:

I don't need a different outlook. I started my life on stage and in the theatre. I used to be a liberal. I finally became educated. I studied chemistry and math. I also took some higher level courses in political science.

I have a very well rounded education. I also happen to have a great understanding of politics and the science of politics. I am very well versed on many things. I am not a dimwit just because, I happen to be conservative. For some reason, people on the "left" get this idea that conservatives are somehow small minded, we're stupid, we are not educated, but, that is simply because the media has worked hard to void us out as best they can.

I am glad you apologized. Apology is accepted and, again, I didn't mean to be defensive but, you must understand, your comment, "you've heard of Noam Chomsky?" came off quite condecending. Of course I've heard of Noam Chomsky. Of course I know who Edward Murrow is (too bad for him Joseph McCarthy was indeed RIGHT). It comes off as if you are saying, I must be stupid because, I like Glenn Beck. It sounds very rude and elitist.

Maybe it's YOU that needs a different outlook? I don't know. I wouldn't be as so bold as to tell a stranger this just because, they are a fan of someone I didn't like.

Again, maybe you didn't mean it that way but, I think you would agree that if you go over what you wrote- when you write this to a stranger, who is completely unaware of who you are, and also is only reading your words. without the benefit of other cues like, tone and body language, I think you will understand.

Thank you for clarifying and I hope I have clarified myself as well.

Goodnight-

~Tuesday


I don't know what to think of this. I really don't think this man was trying to be rude to me but, it does demonstrate how some of these folks can be, even without having a bad intention. I'm not sure he realized how pretentious he came across.

Anyway, just thought it was rather odd and wanted to share with you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  The Alternative Conservative                  
x

Get Our Latest Posts Via Email - It's Free

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner