2012-02-06

Madonna's Revenge and Some M.I.A. Flipped the Bird

Every year at the Super Bowl, the halftime show since the famous 2004-Jackson-wardrobe-malfunction occurred, older and more mature artists have been asked to perform. The shows have been sterilized and described by many as "boring," "sucked," "lame," "okay," or, "not terrible." The show used to be known for offering spots to very popular artists of current times.

At her height, Britney Spears put in a performance at the Super Bowl. I really cannot think of too many others because I never rarely ever watch the Bowl or halftime show.

This year the older artist was Madonna and it turns out that this was the most watched halftime show ever. Yeah, I watched it. Not only that but, she did fairly well. Though you can tell that age has caught up with her a little bit, she still managed to perform some difficult stunts, like doing cartwheels and some dancing. I would imagine for anyone who is a hundred years old, this would be rather difficult. She looked good and she actually performed some older songs (not that I would know), that would be easily recognizable to everyone. "Vogue" was the first song she began her set with. She ended with "Like a Prayer." 

The last song of course got me wondering...was this the ultimate payback from Madonna to Pepsi? Remember the controversy of the 80's and how Madonna was dropped from her Pepsi contract because of her provocative and slightly disturbing video, "Like a Prayer"? Well, Pepsi is a sponsor of the Super Bowl. Knowing the little I know about Madonna from growing up with her music and following her in magazines, on tv, in *cough* movies (yeah, yeah, I loved Desperately Seeking Susan...you did too, don't deny it), this was a calculated move on her part. Watch her perform the song with a big grin on her face.


This year, M.I.A., who is a British singer, also put in a cameo with Madonna and apparently felt the need to flip the audience her middle finger.

I watched the halftime show but only on Youtube. I tried looking for this but did not successfully see this happen. In fact it appears as though many did not notice, until apologies were made from the NFL and NBC. 

I found this video and it does appear that at 0:14 she is extending her middle finger and saying, "I don't give a shhhh...." At the end of this video, they repeat the clip and show it in slow motion. 


Okay, first off - what an idiot. Does this moron M.I.A. have that little of self control that she cannot act like a descent person for a 2-minute performance? I guess it depends on how you look at it. Perhaps it would have been better to not have said anything since it appears as though many did not even notice.

On the other hand, what was done was wrong and irresponsible. That display of selfishness and disrespect for no reason -other than wanting to be a jerk and cause a stir- is exactly what has been hurting this country for decades. People think only about themselves and what they want.

I guess it is sort of a poetic justice that she upstaged Madonna doing this.

Click title of this post for full story. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  The Alternative Conservative                  
x

Get Our Latest Posts Via Email - It's Free

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner